While this winter has been long and unforgiving, warmer weather is just around the corner. Many of us will be spending our time outdoors and soaking up the sunshine—but we won’t be the only ones. Warm weather brings spring pests who have spent the winter hibernating and may make appearances in or outside of your home. These can include mosquitoes, carpenter ants, cockroaches, ticks, termites, and numerous other insects. All of these pests can cause considerable damage to the structure of your home, burrowing through decaying wood. It is important to take precautions to lower the risk of damage caused to your property by these critters. Here are some easy do-it-yourself tips to prevent pest damage:
- Keep firewood away from your house and clear any loose branches or sticks from your property. Wood-destroying insects, such as termites and ants, are attracted to this.
- Replace or seal any windows or screens that are broken or torn. Pests will find any small openings to enter your home.
- Trim bushes or low-hanging branches that are close to your home as these can house pests that rest here during the winter.
- Clean and sanitize your kitchen, especially near the refrigerator and stove.
- Organize and tidy up any clutter in your basement, garage, and attic to prevent any pests hiding in your storage spaces.
- Repair any leaky pipes or A/C units as pests are attracted to stagnant water.
Along with small pests, you will need to be cautious of raccoons during the spring season. Raccoons are nocturnal vermin that mate in the early spring. You may hear them rustling around your property or home late at night or in the early morning. They can make nests in hollow trees, storm sewers, chimneys, small crawl spaces, and attics. It is important to discard any scraps of food lying around your property and properly shut trash can lids so as not to unintentionally feed raccoons. Raccoons can be very dangerous and should only be handled by professionals. If you suspect there are raccoons on your property or in your home, please call CJB Pest & Mosquito Control to safely and effectively remove them.